Recently Visited Pages
Take advantage of this at-a-glance look at the pages on the SCC website you most often visit. Use this as a tool to navigate quickly to info you need the most. Take it one step further and click the star in the top right corner to ensure your favorite pages remain on your list of Visited Pages.
Applying is easy! We have an open-admission policy, which means if you have a high school diploma or its equivalent, you’re in and we can’t wait to see you in the halls.
Department: Health Occupations
SCC Pathways are designed to help you create an educational plan with relevant and relatable courses to fill your schedule. Click below to access a map.
Dates: Open-entry (students will have a maximum of 7 weeks to complete the online modules; on-campus lab day and off-site clinical day will be scheduled with the instructor once online coursework is done)
Textbook: "Venous Access and Intravenous Infusion Treatment Modalities," 2003 Revision (can be purchased at SCC campus bookstore or at https://secure.touchnet.net/C20067_ustores/web/store_cat.jsp?STOREID=14&CATID=11&SINGLESTORE=true)
This 44-contact-hour course provides nurses with the skills necessary to administer IV Therapy using the Missouri State Board of Nursing approved curriculum.
The majority of the course is completed online through Canvas (St. Charles Community College online instructional site). There is one required on-campus lab day (date will be mutually agreed upon with the instructor once required online coursework is completed) and eight hours of off-site clinical work assigned by the instructor. Students will be required to score at least an 80% on the written final exam and demonstrate a 100% mastery of the clinical objectives on the final practicum exam in order to be certified.
Prior to the clinical work, students will be required to take and pass a urine drug screening at a designated facility. Paperwork will be provided during registration.
Subjects Covered Include
- Human anatomy and physiology as applied to intravenous therapy.
- Fundamentals of fluid and electrolyte balance.
- Recognition and prevention of IV therapy-related complications.
- Administration of intravenous fluid therapy including insertion of a peripheral IV line, converting a peripheral IV line to an intermittent infusion device, principles of flow rates including pediatric and geriatric considerations.
- Maintenance of IV therapy including the addition of new fluids, tubing changes, dressing changes and maintaining intermittent peripheral infusion devices.
- Discontinuation of peripheral IV sites.
- Pharmacological considerations of intravenous medications.
- Blood transfusion therapy.
- Total parenteral nutrition.
- Procedures in phlebotomy.
- Current Missouri LPN or RN, OR LPN or RN in possession of a temporary permit to practice in Missouri, OR employee of a federal facility located in Missouri who possesses a current license as an LPN or RN in another state.
- Access to a reliable computer and Internet Service Provider (ISP). The choice of computer and ISP and any other related expenses are the responsibility of the student.
- Active email account that can be accessed throughout the program.
- Must provide results from an acceptable background screening from the Family Care Safety Registry (dated within the last 90 days).
- Be free from tuberculosis and provide documentation of a negative 2-step TB test or "result of findings" from a chest x-ray (dated within the last 12 months).
- Be able to communicate effectively in English.
Provide the following at time of registration (bring copies with you for in-person registration or send as attachments for email registrations):
- Registration Form (you can download the form here if you would like to register via email).
- Copy of LPN or RN license (as indicated above in Eligibility Requirements)
- Copy of Missouri Family Care Safety Registry background screening results
- Copy of 2-Step TB Test
Registration can be done:
- In-person (1 Academy Place, Dardenne Prairie, MO 63368) - office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Through email (email@example.com)
Tuition will be due within one business day of your registration being processed. Individualized information will be communicated during the enrollment process.
This is a non-credit, certificate course. Tuition is due at time of registration and is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Related Pathways, Degrees & Certificates
- Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
- Certified Medication Technician
- Certified Medication Technician Challenge Exam
- Certified Nurse Assistant
- Certified Nurse Assistant - Accelerated Program
- Clinical Supervisor
- Dental Assisting
- Emergency Medical Science A.A.S.
- Exercise Science A.S.
- Health Information Management A.S.
- Level 1 Medication Aide - Biennial update
- Level 1 Medication Aide Train the Trainer Workshop
- Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Nursing A.S.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant A.A.S.
- Online Pharmacy Technician
- Patient Care Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
- Practical Nursing C.A.
- Pre-Pharmacy A.S.
- Professional Medical Coding & Billing with Applied PCS
- Registered Nurse First Assistant