Human Services

Apply Now!

Applying is easy! We have an open-admission policy, which means if you have a high school diploma or its equivalent, you’re in and we can’t wait to see you in the halls.

Apply Now!

Financial Aid

See all the options that make SCC affordable for all.

Financial Aid

Transfer Info

Make a smooth transition to a four-year institution.

Image of Abby Jackson

Human Services

See all related Pathways, Degrees & Certificates

The field of human services includes career paths in many of the "helping" professions. Jobs are varied, including child welfare worker, crime victim advocate, case manager, residential youth counselor, addictions counselor, mental health technician, community outreach worker, family services advocate, disability services specialist, probation/parole officer, abuse prevention educator and elder care specialist. Students may often work with professionals from a wide variety of fields, such as social work, health care, welfare, courts, schools and private and public agencies.

Human services workers provide direct client and indirect support services. They assess clients' needs, help clients find appropriate benefits and services and assist clients obtain these and other resources. They may assist individuals with daily living skills, including providing emotional support. Human service professionals can also organize and lead group activities or assist with community organization and development.

What kind of people skills should I possess for a career as a human services worker?

If you enjoy working with people and have a strong desire to help others, possess empathy and perseverance, human services may be a great career fit for you. Human service professionals work to develop good verbal and written communication skills. This career path will help you gain a better understanding about yourself and the behavior of others.

Tau Upsilon Alpha

Students have the opportunity to get involved in Tau Upsilon Alpha, the national organization for human services honor society.

Career Tech HMS Assessment Reports

Human Services Frequently Asked Questions

What human services specializations or options are offered at SCC?
In addition to a general human services degree pathway, our students can choose more specific studies in victimology, gerontology, youth services and substance abuse.
What is victimology?
Victimology is the study of victims and what makes a person a potential victim. Students of victimology services will learn how to help the victim through the physical and emotional impact of the crime. They will learn crisis intervention and how to counsel victims for enrollment into various assistance programs. Particular attention is given to helping the victim understand the criminal justice system.
What is gerontology?
Gerontology - the study of aging - encompasses a multidisciplinary core of knowledge. It includes physical changes associated with aging, the emotional and intellectual processes of people as they grow older, and how people interact within their family and their community.
What will I learn about youth services work?
Students will learn adolescent psychology, crisis intervention and various aspects of the juvenile justice system and the treatment of alcohol and drug abuse. Training will prepare the student to address the needs of youths in treatment programs, including problem-solving, recording skills, group skills and mediation.
What does substance abuse care involve?
Workers may assist with treatment programs or preventive programs conducted by social or government agencies, community groups, employers and the health care professions. The goals are to help abusers of drugs or alcohol to stop using them, recover from their effects and adopt new lifestyles. Course work at SCC emphasizes that treatment is a continuum of processes from intervention through rehabilitation. The student will learn theories and practices related to defusing crises and the referral of those in crisis.
What about experience? Can I gain experience while attending classes at SCC?
Yes. An essential component of the human services degree is the practicum. In the third and fourth semesters of the program, you will be required to spend 9-11 hours per week working in a social agency to gain practical experience. You will receive formal training and supervision from the agency while earning three credit hours toward your degree in human services.
I like the fact that I can get a job with an Associate of Science degree, but I may want to continue my education and earn a bachelor's degree. Will my courses transfer?
The student earning an Associate of Applied Science degree needs to be aware that the courses taken for the degree are specifically designed to help students enter the work force after approximately two years; however, if you wish to transfer to a four-year institution, be aware each accepts the A.A.S. courses according to its own plan. Close advisement is necessary to optimize your choices.
What kind of people skills should I possess for a career as a human services worker?
Persons interested in this program should enjoy working with people and have a strong desire to help others, including patience and understanding. They should possess good verbal and written communication skills and have a positive attitude about themselves and others.

Pathways, Degrees & Certificates

Contact Information

Sylvia Bane Malta,
Program Chair
Email »
Susan Wagener,
Office Coordinator
Email »
Office Location
SSB 1104
Office Hours

7:45 a.m.-4:15 p.m.

SCC logo

4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive
Cofttleville, MO 63376

© 2019 St. Charles Community College.