Recently Visited Pages
Take advantage of this at-a-glance look at the pages on the SCC website you most often visit. Use this as a tool to navigate quickly to info you need the most. Take it one step further and click the star in the top right corner to ensure your favorite pages remain on your list of Visited Pages.
Medical Transcription Editor
Applying is easy! We have an open-admission policy, which means if you have a high school diploma or its equivalent, you’re in and we can’t wait to see you in the halls.
Medical Transcription Editor
Approved by the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), and Medical Transcription Editor program focuses on teaching the skills needed to work as a medical transcriptionist and medical transcription editor. Students study medical terminology, anatomy, healthcare documentation, and editing theory and technique as well as developing and practicing their typing and listening skills on hundreds of authentic, employer-provided dictations from a variety of specialties.
The course is Internet based with all content online with the exception of select reference materials.
In addition to one-on-one instructor support and personalized graduate support, enrollment includes ebooks, a transcription foot pedal, an AHDI membership, a subscription to an online reference library, and a voucher to take the RHDS exam. National certification is issued by a third-party organization. Additional information on certification can be found by contacting this agency. The certification exam is not offered through St. Charles Community College.
This curriculum is owned by Career Step and St. Charles Community College acts as a third-party registration entity for them. Additional information on Career Step and this program can be found at https://partner.careerstep.com/stcharles.
- An Internet Service Provider (ISP) and active e-mail account are required for utilization of the online course. The choice of provider and expense are the responsibility of the student.
- A personal computer (PC), and WAVPlayer software for transcribing medical reports by means of the computer are required for the program.
- A headset (not included) is strongly recommended for clarity of sound.
- Basic keyboarding skills.
Note: All coursework must be completed within 12 months of registration. The online course is an integrated curriculum designed for use as a one-year independent study program and fits easily into an academic year. Students should anticipate spending 10-15 hours per week on the curriculum to complete the program within 12 months.
Tuition and Schedule
Students can register for and start this program at any time. You will have 12 months from registration to complete the three blocks that make up the complete curriculum (Section 31, 32, and 33).
Students can register and pay for each of the three blocks individually or they can register for all three sections up front and pay a comprehensive fee (Section 40). Tuition is detailed below:
- Section 31 (Block 1): $1,600
- Section 32 (Block 2): $1,100
- Section 33 (Block 3): $499
- Section 40 (All blocks): $3,199
Tuition is due at time of registration. Financial aid/assistance cannot be utilized for this course.
This is a non-credit, certificate course. Tuition is due at time of registration and is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Ready to Register?
Registration is done in the Nursing & Allied Health Office (#1 Academy Place, Dardenne Prairie, MO 63368). Office hours are typically 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday. These hours may vary on certain days so please call to confirm.
Complete the registration form and email to email@example.com. Once registration is received and entered, student will need to call the Cashiers Office to provide credit card payment information via phone.
Complete the registration form and fax to 636-922-8478. Once registration is received and entered, student will need to call the Cashiers Office to provide credit card payment information via phone.
Complete the registration form, include payment by check or money order, and mail to:
St. Charles Community College
1 Academy Place, Suite 102
Dardenne Prairie, MO 63368
If student is paying by credit card, they will need to call the Cashiers Office to take care of tuition payment once they are informed that the registration has been received and entered.
Payment is due at the time of registration.
Related Majors, Degrees & Certificates
- Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
- Certified Medication Technician
- Certified Medication Technician Challenge Exam
- Certified Nurse Assistant
- Certified Nurse Assistant - Accelerated Program
- Certified Nurse Assistant Challenge Exam
- Clinical Supervisor
- Exercise Science A.S.
- Health Information Management A.S.
- IV Therapy
- Level 1 Medication Aide - Biennial update
- Level 1 Medication Aide Train the Trainer Workshop
- Nursing A.S.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant A.A.S.
- Online Pharmacy Technician
- Patient Care Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
- Practical Nursing C.A.
- Pre-Pharmacy A.S.
- Registered Nurse First Assistant