Recent high school graduates will use a combination of their high school GPA and ACT Math Subscore to place into the appropriate level mathematics course. These scores must not be greater than 3 years old to remain valid. Students wishing to challenge their multiple measures math placement may take the SCC in-house placement exam. For more information on placement, visit the Assessment Center Webpage.
Students who do not have both a valid ACT Math Subscore and a high school GPA within the past 3 years will be placed using the SCC in-house placement exam. Students who wish to challenge their placement outcome may retest. For more information visit the Assessment Center Webpage.
Transfer students who have obtained a “C” or better in a transfer math course may take the next level course. Please see a registration counselor to have a transcript evaluated. If a transfer student does not have a grade of “C” or better in a transfer math course, then multiple measures or the SCC in-house placement exam will be used.
Knowledge of basic mathematical concepts including computation with fractions, decimals, and signed numbers is a necessary pre-requisite skill. We recommend that all high school students continually review basic computation skills and take math their senior year in order to maintain and retain their math skills prior to entering college. The following websites provide practice exercises for preparing for our SCC in-house placement exam. Try working these exercises without using your calculator.
- Practice Problems for Placement into Math 096 Prealgebra (based on SCC prerequisite basic skills)
- Practice Problems for Placement into Math 098 Beginning Algebra (based on SCC MAT 096 exit skills)
- Practice Problems for Placement into Math 121 Intermediate Algebra (based on SCC MAT 098 exit skills)
- http://www.testprepreview.com/ (There are many practice math tests here to choose from.)
- www.act.org (Select mathematics then select content areas to view short sample tests OR select PDF versions which provide more sample questions.)