Recently Visited Pages
Take advantage of this at-a-glance look at the pages on the SCC website you most often visit. Use this as a tool to navigate quickly to info you need the most. Take it one step further and click the star in the top right corner to ensure your favorite pages remain on your list of Visited Pages.
Applying is easy! We have an open-admission policy, which means if you have a high school diploma or its equivalent, you’re in and we can’t wait to see you in the halls.
Department: Health Occupations
SCC Pathways are designed to help you create an educational plan with relevant and relatable courses to fill your schedule. Click below to access a map.
Dates: Tuesdays & Thursdays, Sept. 14 - Dec. 7, 6 - 9pm
Registration Deadline: Sept. 10 (unless class fills before that time)
Textbook & Drug Cards:
- Mosby's Pharmacy Technician, 5th edition (ISBN 978-0323443579)
- Sigler's Prescription Drug Cards, 36th edition (ISBN 978-1880579886)
A pharmacy technician is qualified for employment in retail pharmacies, hospitals, long term care pharmacies and licensed prescription vendors. This 12-week course, taught by a registered pharmacist, provides the classroom instruction necessary to be a successful pharmacy technician. The class focuses on prescription drug processing, drug classifications, physiology, drug interactions, pharmacy calculations, medical terminology and compounding.
Students must be at least 17 years of age and be able to provide documentation of High School Graduation or GED/HiSET Completion in order to register for this course. Students must also apply to St. Charles Community College to be eligible to register.
Students who are successful in this course will receive a certificate of completion from St. Charles Community College (SCC) and be eligible to apply for national certification (either the PTCB or ExCPT). SCC does not offer these certification exams on campus or as part of the pharmacy technician curriculum. Students interested in learning more about these certifications can contact the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board by calling 1-800-363-8012 or going to https://www.ptcb.org/.
Complete before registration:
- College Application: all students must apply to St. Charles Community College prior to registering for class. Please complete and submit the application here: https://www.stchas.edu/admissions/apply
Provide the following at time of registration (bring copies with you for in-person registration or send as attachments for email registrations):
- Registration Form (you can download the form here if you would like to register via email).
- Copy of High School diploma or GED/HiSET certificate
Registration can be done:
- In-person (1 Academy Place, Dardenne Prairie, MO 63368) - office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Through email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tuition will be due within one business day of your registration being processed. Individualized information will be communicated during the enrollment process.
This is a non-credit, certificate course. Tuition is due at time of registration and is non-refundable and non transferable.
In the state of Missouri, pharmacy technicians earn a mean average of $30,610 per year.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, earnings increase significantly as a worker’s degree of education rises.
Related Pathways, Degrees & Certificates
- Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
- Certified Medication Technician
- Certified Medication Technician Challenge Exam
- Certified Nurse Assistant
- Certified Nurse Assistant - Accelerated Program
- Clinical Supervisor
- Dental Assisting
- Emergency Medical Science A.A.S.
- Exercise Science A.S.
- Health Information Management A.S.
- IV Therapy
- Level 1 Medication Aide - Biennial update
- Level 1 Medication Aide Train the Trainer Workshop
- Medical Administrative Assistant with EHR
- Medical Transcription Editor
- Nursing A.S.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant A.A.S.
- Patient Care Technician
- Practical Nursing C.A.
- Professional Medical Coding & Billing with Applied PCS
- Registered Nurse First Assistant
Hours may vary during summer – please call to confirm.