Ready to Borrow?

Begin the process of becoming eligible for a loan.

Get started

Financial Aid

See all the options that make SCC affordable for all.

Financial Aid

Student loans – invest in your future.

Student loans require repayment six months after leaving school or dropping below half-time enrollment. There are two types of federal direct loans that you may qualify for at SCC.

Two Types of Federal Direct Loans
Subsidized Loan Unsubsidized Loan
Awarded on the basis of financial need. Non-need based.
The Department of Education subsidizes or pays for the interest during school and deferment periods. You'll be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full (all periods including in-school, grace and repayment).
Interest begins to accrue during the repayment period.  
Loans disbursed between July 1, 2012, and July 1, 2014, will accrue interest during the grace period.  


How to begin borrowing.

In order to be eligible for a loan, a student must complete the FAFSA application, be in good Satisfactory Academic Progress, be degree-seeking at SCC, and be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours. SCC does not auto-package loans.

Complete the list in the Loan Steps to initiate your loan.

  1. Complete the FAFSA for the academic year in which you will enroll (Note:  Academic years begin in Fall and end in Summer)
  2. Complete Loan Entrance Counseling
  3. Complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
  4. Complete a Loan Request eform in your MySCC portal (Note the correct academic year)

How much can you borrow?

SCC determines the loan amount you can borrow based on your FAFSA results, your Cost of Attendance and other financial aid you have received. The Department of Education also sets loan limits based on grade level and dependency status.

Annual Loan Limits
Completed Hours Dependent Independent Subsidized
0-29 $5,500/yr $9,500/yr $3,500/yr
30-96 $6,500/yr $10,500/yr $4,500/yr

The following aggregate limits represent the total loan debt that may be outstanding at the undergraduate level.

Aggregate Limits
Dependent Independent
Subsidized $23,000 $23,000
Total Loans $31,000 $57,500


What are the deadlines to submit loan requests?
Avoid Pre-payment Final Submissions
Fall July 1st December 1st
Spring December 1st May 1st
Summer May 1st June 30th

Loan Exit Counseling

Before you leave school, you are required to complete Loan Exit Counseling, a tutorial that goes over your loan repayment obligations while offering helpful resources. Students are required to complete Loan Exit Counseling if they:

  • Graduate
  • Transfer
  • Withdraw
  • Drop below half-time enrollment (less than 6 credit hours)

Need help getting started?  Watch this video from Federal Student Aid for instructions on how to complete Loan Exit Counseling. Refer to this helpful Guide for more information.

Loan Terms & Repayment

A complete list of Federal Direct Loan repayment terms can be found in the Master Promissory Note that you sign before taking out a student loan.  A summary of borrower rights and responsibilities is also included on the Loan Request eform that you submit via the MySCC portal.  Among these responsibilities, is the obligation to repay your loan 6 months after you cease half-time enrollment.  Before you leave school, you are required to complete Loan Exit Counseling, a tutorial that goes over your loan repayment obligations while offering helpful resources. 

Additional Resources

For more information on loan repayment, you may reference the following guide to Repaying Your Loans.  You may also use the Repayment Estimator to access sample repayment schedules.  Having difficulty with repayment?  You have options, and guidance from the Department of Education is always free. Check out this guide to Avoiding Repayment Scams and getting the help you need.  For more details about the Federal Student Loan program, please visit


Student Loan FAQs


How many credit hours must I take to qualify for a loan this semester?
You must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in order to achieve half-time enrollment and qualify for a loan. This includes the summer term.
Can I get a student loan at SCC even though I have a bachelor's degree?
If your transferred credits from your prior degree total more than 150% of the credit required for your new SCC degree, you should complete a Maximum Hours Appeal.
Do I have to complete a new Loan Request eform every year if I want to continue borrowing new student loans?
Yes. You must actively confirm that you want to borrow a new student loan by completing the Loan Request eform and indicating how much you would like to borrow.  Don't forget you also need to complete the FAFSA every academic year (August through July).


How much do I owe on my loans?
Find out your loan balance and monthly payment by visiting
Who is my loan servicer?
Find your loan servicer at
Can I start paying my loans early?
Yes. In fact you will save money on interest by getting a head start. There are no pre-payment penalties.

Transferring Schools

What if I have already used up my grace period and then return to school.  Do I get another grace period?
No. Once you have used your grace period on a particular student loan, you will not get another one for that loan. While in school that loan payment will be deferred, but it will enter repayment immediately after you fall below half-time enrollment. However, any new loans that you acquire are entitled to a six-month grace period.
How many credit hours must I take at my new school in order to postpone payments on my previously borrowed student loans?
You must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in order to achieve half-time enrollment and qualify for a deferment to postpone your payments.
SCC logo

4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive
Cofttleville, MO 63376

© 2024 St. Charles Community College.