Zyra De Los Reyes

Zyra De Los Reyes

Zyra De Los Reyes

Current Students  |  International Students  |  Student

Zyra De Los Reyes graduated high school in the Philippines with honors at age 14 – a common age for academically competitive students there.

At 15 years old, her family moved to the U.S., and she enrolled in St. Charles Community College’s nursing program on a scholarship.

Soon, her enthusiasm began to fade. 

“I started to get lazy in school,” she said. “I didn’t have goals for myself and I lost my scholarship after a year of being in school. My parents decided I needed a break from school, so I stopped for a while.”

Zyra had a baby at age 18, causing her to rethink the direction her life was headed. “It was a reality check,” she said. “In order to provide for my family, I started working. Knowing I could do better still, I resigned from my job and moved back in with my parents to become a full-time student.”

She decided to major in computer science this go-around, because it allowed for creative expression by building ideas with programming.

“I plan to obtain my bachelor’s degree, have a career that I will love and enjoy, and be an advocate for computer science,” Zyra said. “I want to inspire others to strive for greater things and give my family a brighter future.”

“The education I acquired from SCC has made my academic foundation strong,” she said. “It’s a great choice because they provide quality education. All of the faculty care – they make sure you get where you need to be.”

Last updated: Nov. 30, 2015

SCC logo

4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive
Cofttleville, MO 63376

info_desk@stchas.edu
636-922-8000

© 2024 St. Charles Community College.