Recently Visited Pages
Take advantage of this at-a-glance look at the pages on the SCC website you most often visit. Use this as a tool to navigate quickly to info you need the most. Take it one step further and click the star in the top right corner to ensure your favorite pages remain on your list of Visited Pages.
Men of Color: Student Success Program
The Men of Color: Student Success Program is a new program at SCC specifically designed to support you as you navigate through the college experience and into a life of success. We know when you are supported as individuals, your college experience will be more successful.
Starting this year, we are inviting area high school students to be a part of this unique and powerful program, which includes financial scholarships, academic support, social engagement, mentorship and connections with successful community leaders.
Through the Men of Color: Student Success Program, you will be:
- Empowered: we are here to help you succeed
- Equipped: financial, academic and social support will be available to you throughout your SCC experience
- Engaged: join multicultural student groups or take advantage of internship opportunities
- Encouraged: our student, academic and professional mentors will guide you along the way
We are kicking off the new program at our inaugural Men of Color: Student Success Summit on Feb. 26, 2021. When you attend the summit, you'll get the chance to engage with nationally-renowned speakers on topics that matter to you. You'll also get the chance to learn more about the Men of Color: Student Success Program. The summit is open to all men of color from area high schools, whether or not they are interested in participating in the program. Register for the program below!
Men of Color: Student Success Program Benefits
- You are awarded a scholarship worth $1,000.
- You will be connected with a personal mentor, if not more than one. Our mentors are business and community leaders, faculty and staff, and student leaders.
- As a collegial group, Men of Color: Student Success Program students will move through their college experience together, supported by comprehensive support services and engagement activities to further assure success.
- Once you complete your associate degree, scholarship opportunities will be identified, and personal connections will be made with our university partners for encouraging students to complete a bachelor’s degree.
If you’d like to apply for the Men of Color: Student Success Program, please email Robert Jones
Men of Color: Student Success Summit 2021
Don’t miss the inaugural Men of Color: Student Success Summit packed with information geared to help you success toward the career you want!
Schedule of Virtual Events:
Welcome – Dr. Barbara Kavalier, SCC President
Keynote Speaker - Lamarr Womble – “Passion/Purpose”
|10:15 a.m.||Reggie Conquest – “Finding Your Tribe”|
Jerrica Washington – “Supporting Your Team”
Welcome Back – Martha Garcia Kampen, Chief Diversity & Compliance Officer and Men of Color: Student Success Summit Co-Chair
Gerald Harris – “Community Engagement”
Robert Jones – “Men of Color: Why Student Success Matters”
Closing Remarks - Martha Garcia Kampen
Introduction of Mentor Program – Robert Jones
Mentorship Connection – Networking and Social