Sarah Myers

Sarah Myers

Sarah Myers

Alumni  |  Student

Sarah Myers never intended on staying home for college. In fact, her original plans were to attend a private liberal arts college in New York City.

Not one to give up on her goals, Sarah flew to New York for a pre-college program.

“That adventure hit me hard like someone had swung gravel at my head,” Sarah said. “It did not end well, and I was sent home early.”

After her experience in New York, Sarah decided to enroll in a state college. Unfortunately, after just one summer semester, Sarah could tell that she was at the wrong school, yet again.

“After a year of confusion I decided to enroll at St. Charles Community College. It turned out to have the best balance of coursework, community engagement and support.”

By coming to SCC, Sarah was able to recollect herself from all of the stress of changing schools while also dealing with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder from complex trauma.

Sarah’s success at SCC continued when she joined Phi Theta Kappa and became the vice president of scholarship.

“I led the Honors in Action Project and our team ended up winning two awards for it at the regional meeting that year.”

Sarah also joined Secular Student Alliance and the early beginnings of the Feminist Consciousness-Raising Group during her time at SCC.

“Through my involvement I’ve been able to travel, make new connections and figure out my passions. I traveled to San Antonio, Texas, with PTK and met students all over the country who were driven, hard working and goal achievers. I also got to see the great intellectual minds of Malcolm Gladwell and Dr. Michio Kaku speak in person.”

After taking a sociology independent-study course with Vicky Herbel, Sarah became interested in becoming a social scientist.

Sarah graduated from SCC in the spring of 2015 with an Associate of Arts with an emphasis in sociology. After graduation she was able to secure an internship at a think tank organization. 

“I’m sure I couldn’t have gotten the internship if it weren’t for the experiences I had at SCC.”

Now a student at the University of Missouri–St. Louis and the Pierre Laclede Honors College, Sarah is studying psychology and writing. Thanks to her involvement at SCC, she has received two-thirds of her tuition from scholarship money. 

“I have transformed from an injured girl living in her past traumas into a woman with much more confidence and a positive attitude because of my experiences at SCC.”

Last updated: Nov. 4, 2015

SCC logo

4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive
Cofttleville, MO 63376

info_desk@stchas.edu
636-922-8000

© 2024 St. Charles Community College.